We need a huge tuition increase, again

University President Bob Bruininks made a cowardly approach to increasing tuition over the next few years. He and the Board of Regents made a budget stipulation that would restrict tuition increases to a measly 5.5 percent. My response is: Can’t we do better than that?

The massive, double-digit tuition hikes of previous years have suited students well. A break in this trend is not only counterproductive, it is a letdown for those who eagerly anticipate paying more and more as the years pass.

Think of all the cool stuff the school could buy with the extra dough. According to a new WCCO-TV “I-Team” report, the University used $500,000 to buy hundreds of fancy, ergonomic office chairs that can’t be accounted for.

Reckless spending and irresponsibility is why I gladly pay my tuition, no questions asked. What can I say? I love contributing money to superfluous causes – that’s why I donate to Greenpeace. Frankly, it’s confusing to see so many students upset about the increasing cost of college. College is free, people. Our parents pay!

How can everyone be so ignorant? We should support our school at any cost. Tuition is an investment in our future; we owe it to ourselves to increase tuition as high as possible. At least I think we do. Oh, whatever. I say we just blindly throw our financial fuel onto the University’s fire.

Another reason to blow your savings on school is our undeniable need for a new football stadium. We won’t be here to enjoy it when it’s built, but some day we can come back to the campus with our children and say, “They built that hulking arena over there because I said so. Now go get me some pasta.”

Unfortunately, minimizing future tuition increases would endanger this beautiful dream. I urge all students to rise up against Bruininks’ insensitive ploy by picketing, writing letters, and, most importantly, forcing large sums of money into the University’s budget. We need to protest our way toward change. Keep the faith. I really want to pay more, and I know you do too.

Mat Koehler welcomes comments at [email protected].