Harvard Market demolished for apartments

A new apartment complex and a CVS/pharmacy will replace the building.
The building that used to hold Harvard Market is demolished Monday in Stadium Village. A new apartment complex and a CVS pharmacy will replace the building.

Harvard Market, a 106-year-old institution on campus, was demolished Monday, making room for new luxury apartments.

Traffic on Washington Avenue Southeast was cut down to one lane to extend the sidewalk further out from the building and a pit inside the building appeared to be made for fallen debris.

Demolition will continue through Tuesday.

The new complex, Stadium Village Flats, will be a six story building âÄúcompetitiveâÄù with other new apartments on campus, Opus Development project manager Dave Menke previously told the Daily.

Harvard Market closed its doors late January, causing Stadium Village to be without a grocery store for the past three months.

When the new complex opens in August 2012, a CVS/pharmacy will replace the store.

âÄúI didnâÄôt realize how much IâÄôd miss it until after it was gone,âÄù University of Minnesota sophomore Ashley Chung said. âÄúI realized IâÄôd probably have to go to CVS [in Dinkytown] and thatâÄôs kind of far for me.âÄù

Freshman Sarah Cloutier agreed, adding that Harvard Market closed a couple weeks after she moved to campus.

âÄúI have to go down to Walmart now instead of getting groceries here,âÄù Cloutier said. âÄúI was really sad when they shut it down.âÄù

Cloutier also said she thinks it doesn’t seem like the campus needs any more apartments considering Dinnaken Properties, where she currently lives, still has empty spaces.

However, Jim LaValle, who works for another developer on campus, Doran Companies, previously said a survey of the area showed a need for 2,000 more units. Even after all five of the planned complexes are built in the next couple years, LaValle said the need will not be filled.

Developers are now looking into building more apartments in Marcy Holmes next, Dinkytown Business Association President Skott Johnson said.

The neighborhood welcomed the idea, while area businesses are leery that they will be pushed out, Johnson said.