Warrant: Kreye had been drinking

The search warrant stated possible marijuana, alcohol and unknown substances were found.

Although the cause of death for the 19-year-old Andover, Minn., man who died in Riverbend Commons Sept. 26 remains unknown, details of the night before he died are surfacing.

According to a search warrant released Friday, Jacob A. Kreye had been drinking and using marijuana the night before his death. Kreye was not a University student.

Kreye visited University student Aurora Albright-Konicek’s room at approximately 7 p.m. on Sept. 25, the female student told police. He had been drinking and smoking marijuana before he arrived, she said in the warrant.

The friends visited others in the residence hall and returned to her room at approximately midnight. They stayed awake until 4 a.m.

At 8 a.m. Sunday, Albright-Konicek woke up to go to the bathroom. She spoke to Kreye, but he didn’t respond. She went back to bed and fell asleep.

At approximately 11 a.m., she woke up again, tried unsuccessfully to wake him and called 911.

After trying to revive the man and searching the room, police recovered suspected drugs and alcohol. Among the findings were three liquor bottles, 20 empty beer cans, containers of suspected marijuana, a plant-like material and some powdered substances, according to the warrant.

Police also recovered anti-depressant bottles but did not identify to whom they belonged.

In a press conference following the death last weekend, University Police Chief Greg Hestness said nothing at the scene indicated the death was drug-or alcohol-related.

“It wasn’t until later that we discovered that he had been smoking and drinking,” Hestness said Friday.

Calls for comment from Hestness, Albright-Konicek and Housing and Residential Life Director Laurie McLaughlin were unsuccessful.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy but has not released the results.

First-year political science student Jessica Schroeder said she wasn’t surprised to hear alcohol and suspected marijuana were found in the residence hall room.

“I feel terrible for her,” she said. “It would be a lot better if everybody knew what happened.”

Drugs and alcohol are big issues on campus, said Jeff Bloom, a first-year international business student.

“For the most part, it’s handled responsibly,” he said. “You don’t hear about this every weekend.”

-The Associated Press, Anna Weggel and Branden Peterson contributed to this report.