Dead man found near riverbank was a U student

The body appeared to be that of a 22-year-old male student, and is likely a suicide.

Megan Nicolai

The body of a University of Minnesota student was discovered near the University Boathouse on Tuesday.

The cause of death is yet to be determined but appears to be a suicide, according to an internal email sent out by University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.

Around 1:30 p.m., a University staff member was walking in the East River Flats Park, located on the East Bank campus, and saw a body âÄúlying not too far from the riverbank,âÄù the email said. The body was just north of the Boathouse, according to a Minneapolis police report.

Hennepin County Medical Examiner personnel responding to the scene found a U Card with the body that belongs to a currently registered University student. The student lived in Centennial Hall.

The man was 22 years old, according to the report. Investigators do not consider the death suspicious.

The body was not visible from East River Parkway, which runs along the length of the park, McCarty said.

As of 4 p.m. the body remained on the scene, according to University police Chief Greg Hestness. By 6 p.m. no police or emergency personnel were at the park.

University police responded, as did Minneapolis police, Minneapolis Park police and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, who will determine the final cause of death and notify next of kin.