Owens death ruled accidental

The autopsy report confirms speculations of the student’s mother.

by Katherine Lymn

University of Minnesota student Nick J. Owens died accidently from drug use on Feb. 13, as his mother suspected, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. Owens had mentioned how easy it was to obtain prescription drugs on campus, Mary Jo Owens told the Minnesota Daily soon after her sonâÄôs death . âÄúIâÄôm mad because I donâÄôt know where they get all these [medications], and I think it had something to do with his death. I think it was a tragic accident, a casual weekend [where he said] âÄòyeah, let me try,âÄôâÄù she said then. The medical examiner âÄôs report, released Wednesday, specified the exact cause of death as morphine toxicity. Owens, 22, was an electrical engineering student at the University. He died at the Kappa Eta Kappa house on the 1100 block of Fourth Street Southeast, but he wasnâÄôt a member of the fraternity. âÄúPeople have choices,âÄù Mary Jo Owens said. âÄúIâÄôm just mad that my son made some wrong choices.âÄù