Schroeder named to U.S. National Team

As suspected, Minnesota sophomore Jordan Schroeder was named to the United States National Junior Hockey team today.

This will be the third consecutive year the forward has been named to the team, which will start competition Saturday at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship in Saskatchewan.

The sophomore has played 18 games of the college hockey season thus far, accumulating 12 points on four goals and eight assists.

Schroeder is the lone Gophers player named to the U.S. National team, but will be joined by four other Minnesotans on the roster. Joining Schroder will be St. Cloud State goalie Mike Lee, Minnetonka native and current University of Wisconsin defenseman Jake Gardiner, Eden Prarie native and current University of North Dakota forward Danny Kristo and Hastings native and fellow University of North Dakota forward Derek Stepan.

Due to the tournament, Schroeder will miss the Dodge Holiday Classic which runs Jan. 2-3 but Gophers head coach Don Lucia said he expects the sophomore to return in time for the following series against Harvard on Jan. 8.

Minnesota is coming off a road sweep of Michigan Tech and is off until Jan. 2, when they will face Bowling Green in the opening round of the Dodge Holiday Classic.