Baum takes Big Ten

Dana Baum, a junior from Carson City, Nev., earned women’s swimming and diving Big Ten Athlete of the Week honors on Monday. Baum repeats her athlete of the week honors that she earned on Nov. 6.

Last weekend at the Georgia Invitational, Baum qualified for nationals in four individual events and one relay.

She swam a career best time of 4:47.81 to win the 500 freestyle, the second best time in school history. Baum placed second in the 200 freestyle with a NCAA automatic qualifying time of 1:47.75, breaking the school record that she set last year in the event. Both Baum’s 200 and 500 freestyle events rank her first in the Big Ten and sixth and fourth, respectively, in the nation.

Baum also qualified for nationals in the 1,650 freestyle and the 100 freestyle with season best time of 16:47.83 and 51.05, respectively. In addition to her individual awards, she anchored the 400-medley relay team that swam a fifth place NCAA qualifying time of 3:45.32.

Wrestlers on TV

The defending NCAA champion and current No. 1 Minnesota wrestling program has announced the dates and times for television broadcasts of home dual meets for the 2001-02 season. The televised meets are broadcast on Fox Sports North (FSN).

The following two dual meets are scheduled for live broadcast: Feb. 17 vs.

Illinois and Feb. 24 vs. Ohio State. Both meets are at 2 p.m. at Williams Arena.

In addition to the televised meets, Minnesota hosts one of the most anticipated dual meets in recent college wrestling history ñ a border battle between the Gophers and the archrival Iowa Hawkeyes at Target Center on Friday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m.

The interstate rivalry bout could help the Gophers break the NCAA wrestling dual meet attendance record of 15,291, set on Feb. 22, 1992, when Iowa defeated Iowa State 29-8 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Tickets for wrestling meets can be purchased by calling 612-624-8080 or 1-800-U-GOPHER. Tickets are also available for purchase online at www.gophersports.com.

Track and field ink pair

Men’s track and field head coach Phil Lundin announced Monday that Adam Schnaible of Burnsville, Minn., and Nick Lagos of White Bear Lake, Minn., have signed letters of intent to attend the University next fall.

Schnaible has a personal-best shot put of over 59 feet and placed second to current Gopher freshman Karl Erickson at last year’s Class AA Minnesota State Championships.

Lagos will be the state’s top returning hurdler after being ranked second among Minnesota preps with a 14.37 in the 110-meter high hurdles and a 37.85 in the 300-meter low hurdles in 2000.

Lagos and Schnaible join Faribault High School’s Tom Schmidt, who won the 2001 Class AA Minnesota State High School cross-country crown, as Gopher fall signees. Last spring, Schmidt placed second in the Class AA 800 meters in 1:51.82 behind current Gopher freshman Trent Riter.

Men’s gymnasts eighth

Minnesota’s men’s gymnastics has been selected as the nation’s No. 8 team in the GymInfo 2002 Preseason Coaches Poll. The Gophers trail Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Cal-Berkeley, Illinois, Penn State and Iowa. Rounding out the top 10 is Nebraska and Stanford.

Minnesota is coming off a rollercoaster 2001 season that saw the team post its first Big Ten dual meet wins since 1997, finish seventh in the conference and notch exceptional individual performances at the NCAA Championships.

Gopher Clay Strother, a junior in 2002, captured two NCAA Individual Event titles, winning the floor exercise and pommel horse crowns. In addition, the Jasper, Texas, native finished in fifth place in the all-around at the national meet for his third All-America honor. He is unquestionably the leader of the 2002 Minnesota squad.

Also returning for the Gophers is sophomore Eric Steele, a native of Knoxville, Tenn. Steele won the vault title at the 2001 Big Ten Championships and was later named Freshman of the Year for his solid performances throughout the season.

The Gophers host the 35th annual Alumni Meet on Friday, Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. at the Sports Pavilion.

Minnesota opens official competition Jan. 12, 2002, at the Windy City Invitational in Chicago.