Police round up underage drinkers

Elizabeth Cook

Early Saturday morning police responded to a call about a Sanford Hall resident harassing students and staff.

According to police reports, the student started fights, walked into female residents’ rooms, disturbed them, and touched a female community adviser’s butt.

Police reports said that when officers arrived, the suspect smelled like alcohol and denied doing anything wrong.

Steve Johnson, deputy police chief for the University Police Department, said police gave the student a preliminary breath test, which showed he had been drinking.

To prevent further criminal conduct, the suspect was booked at Hennepin County Jail for underage drinking.

Run, run away

At approximately 12:30 a.m. Thursday, officers approached three men urinating on the wall and sidewalk at the corner of 15th Avenue Southeast and Fourth Street Southeast.

Officers collected the suspects’ identification and were in the process of issuing citations when one of the suspects started to run away, Johnson said.

The suspect ran south on Fourth Street Southeast, and continued running after another officer spotted him and yelled for him to stop.

The officer chased the suspect on foot and caught him about a block away, Johnson said.

The suspect was charged with fleeing not in a motor vehicle, which is a felony, and minor consumption.

Drinking too much

At approximately midnight Saturday, officers were called to Territorial Hall on reports of a resident who was in and out of consciousness.

When officers arrived, they discovered an 18-year-old woman who was semi-conscious and vomiting with her head rested on the toilet, Johnson said.

Officers were able to get her somewhat responsive and sent her by ambulance to the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, Johnson said.

She was issued a citation of consumption of alcohol as a minor.

Officers were also dispatched to Comstock Hall on Saturday at approximately 1:30 a.m. on the report of a heavily intoxicated man.

According to reports, when officers arrived the student was in a stairwell and it was determined that he was unable to stand on his own.

The student identified himself and said he had taken approximately eight shots of alcohol.

The student was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center and was cited with consumption of alcohol as a minor.

Drinking to the point of passing out or vomiting is a real danger, Johnson said.

When someone passes out or vomits, they’re reacting to the toxic level of alcohol in their bodies, he said.

“People can drink themselves to death; that’s a fact,” Johnson said.