Eat local on campus

The University’s local food challenge is smart and healthy.

Earlier this week the University of Minnesota announced a new challenge when it comes to food. The University wants students shopping at the Gopher Express in Coffman Union or the Gopher Spot in the St. Paul Student Center to buy local food products âÄî identifiable by a green âÄúlocalâÄù sticker âÄî from Oct. 17 to Oct. 21. Students who buy the local food can enter to win a biodegradable mug and free coffee and fountain soda for a month.

While both of these locations have offered commendable food choices for some time, not every student knows about it. Giving students and faculty an incentive to buy local products is a smart way to promote local food and healthy eating.

Additionally, many of the students who shop at Gopher Express and Gopher Stop are first- and second-year undergraduates. This is an opportune time to learn about the important role food plays in how well one performs as a student.

Eating local, organic or non-processed foods can have a variety of beneficial health effects. More entities at the University should take on challenges such as the âÄúEat Local Challenge,âÄù and perhaps consider making them long term.

It is important that students learn how to make smart, healthy decisions about the food they eat. They can carry these skills, like many others learned in college, far into the future.