Student’s guide to saving

As a student, you don’t need to wait for politicians to act; you should take control of your finances.

As the total United States student loan debt nears the $1 trillion mark, concerns of college students everywhere were finally recognized by the big man on campus âÄî President Barack Obama.

Obama announced a plan to make college loans easier to pay off after graduation. Right now, with tuition at four-year public schools averaging more than $17,000 a year, Obama has a legitimate concern about the accessibility of higher education.

I, like many others, believe the next step is to tackle rising tuition costs. College students should not have to stress about paying off student loans or being in debt for life. Their main concerns should be getting the most out of their education by going to class and getting good grades.

Students can put themselves in a better financial situation with or without ObamaâÄôs help. Saving money doesnâÄôt have to be a big deal; small efforts can go a long way.

I learned a lot about my financial habits last year. I spent an outrageous amount exploring restaurants even though I had an expensive meal plan. I also noticed how my frequent visits to coffee shops really added up.

Now I make it a point to always cook for myself; trips out to eat are for special celebrations only. I also never carry money with me to class. Without my debit card, I cannot give in to any temptations to grab a coffee treat between lectures.

The price of textbooks is a money woe all students share. Renting books can save students hundreds of dollars every semester. It shocked me to realize how many of my friends buy brand new books. Various websites exist that rent textbooks for one semester or sell used books. Shop around online, compare prices and make the smartest buy.

Going out on weekends, although a pivotal activity in college, can easily break the bank. Choose one night of the weekend to go out and make the others movie nights or even study sessions. Your body, bank account and grade point average will thank you.

College students are often encouraged to make a budget, but letâÄôs be serious, not many of us have the time or ambition to do that. If money is especially tight, by all means formulate a budget; otherwise, keeping a close eye on spending habits can work wonders. Check online statements often, pay attention to where you spend the majority of your money and think of solutions to cut back on spending.

I charge most of my expenses to my debit card. To limit my spending, I keep my checking account at about $100. Spending money is a lot more noticeable when you start with $100 than when you start with $500. Just be careful not to overdraw.

This is a no brainer, but if you have a credit card, plan for your bills and pay them on time to avoid unnecessary fees. The same can be said for utility bills.

College kids also donâÄôt want to worry about car-related expenses like gas and parking. Even if you have a car at home, leave it there. Bringing a car to school is an expensive, unnecessary hassle for most. Besides the everyday costs, there can be surprises like parking tickets, towing costs and flat tires. Just use the bus system.

Most importantly, take advantage of the education available to you. Go to class and get what you pay for. Skipping hurts you and wastes your money. Also, every credit over 13 at the University of Minnesota is free, so take as many as you can handle.

Just remember, fussing about finances and loans now will pay off later. Education prepares students for the future and is the best investment you will make in your life.