Response to “More bias against conservatives”

We would like to address a number of points that Sean Niemic made in his guest column on Oct. 5. We are troubled by the number of false claims and assumptions he makes, all of which are easily disproven by a bit of research. We will only discuss those regarding the WomenâÄôs Student Activist Collective in this letter. First of all, Grace Kelley is not the âÄúde factoâÄù leader of WSAC; she is a WSAC alumna and one of our advisors. Secondly, as WSAC is a collective it has no specific leader. Decisions are made by consensus and not by particular people. Niemic is correct that the Board of GovernorsâÄô initial recommendation was that WSAC should not receive office space for the âÄô09-âÄô10 school year. They made this recommendation because our application was missing information due to a simple clerical error; we corrected this omission on our appeal application. Student Unions & Activities and the Board of Governors approved our appeal, changed their recommendation, and allowed us to keep our room, which has long been a safe haven for women on campus. This was not an intentional slight by SUA and the BOG against Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) âÄî a tenant that has a history in Coffman Union and a longer history as a student group on the University of Minnesota campus is more likely to continue receiving office space than to be evicted and replaced. Furthermore, it is against the BOGâÄôs policy for BOG members to inform student groups other than the one under consideration about preliminary recommendations regarding office space. We feel that Maggie TowleâÄôs attempts to discover who told the members of CFACT about the initial recommendation regarding WSAC are justified. By doing so, this person violated BOG policy and caused unnecessary animosity between the two student groups. WSAC members and supporters