U’s Carter is Football News

Gophers junior safety Tyrone Carter has been named a first-team All-American by Football News Magazine.
Carter is the second Gopher in two years to earn All-American honors. Defensive end Lamanzer Williams was a Football Writers Association first-team All-American last season.
Carter led the team with 158 tackles, including a school-record 127 solo tackles. He also led the team with 15 tackles for loss, eight sacks and three fumble recoveries.
With one season left to play, Carter is third on the school’s career tackle list with 384, trailing only Bill Light (395) and Pete Najarian (482).
Women’s hockey
For the second straight year, the fifth-ranked Gophers women’s hockey team won the Princeton Thanksgiving Invitational in Princeton, N.J.
Saturday’s championship game matched fifth-ranked Minnesota with fourth-ranked Princeton. After being shut out in the first period, Minnesota scored three times in the second period and held on to beat Princeton 3-1 and win the tournament.
Freshman Jenny Schmidgall got the Gophers on the board with a power play goal four minutes into the second period, and sophomores Matty Brekken and Ambria Thomas also added goals in the period. Sophomore goalie Erica Killewald stopped 25 of 26 shots in the win.
On Friday, the Gophers got four points each from Schmidgall and sophomore Nadine Muzerall in their 5-2 win over Northeastern.
Sophomores Courtney Kennedy and Emily Buchholz both added power play goals, and Killewald stopped 32 shots for Minnesota.
On Sunday, the Gophers scored two goals in the first period, and then blew the game open with six in the second period, before adding two more in the third. Sophomore Kris Scholz had a natural hat trick and Schmidgall added one goal and three assists. Freshman goalie Crystal Nicholas stopped all six shots she faced, as the Gophers outshot the Golden Gaels 48-6.
The Gophers (7-1-1) will host Gustavus Adolphus on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Sports Pavilion.
Wrestling
Five Gophers wrestlers competed at the Carolina Open on Saturday at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Sophomore Brett Lawrence won the lone title for Minnesota at 133 pounds with a 7-2 decision over teammate senior Bart Golyer.
Freshman Joe Calavitta finished second overall, and sophomore Brad Pike was third with a 10-2 win over Tony Nguyen of Citadel in the consolation round.