Murphy and Vincent halls evacuated over reported gas leak

The fire department re-opened the buildings shortly after 1 p.m. after finding no sign of a gas leak.

Minneapolis Fire Department enters Vincent Hall to inspect a possible gas leak, Monday.

Jules Ameel

Minneapolis Fire Department enters Vincent Hall to inspect a possible gas leak, Monday.

Jennifer Bissell

The Minneapolis Fire Department evacuated Vincent Hall and parts of Murphy Hall around 12:30 Monday for roughly 30 minutes after receiving a report of a gas leak.

The fire department searched building but found no sign of a gas leak, Director of Emergency Management Terry Cook said.

âÄúWhen you have 300 buildings [on campus], thereâÄôs bound to be calls,âÄù Cook said.

Roughly half a dozen fire trucks arrived at the scene and parked along Church Street and Washington Avenue.

Because Murphy and Vincent halls share the same address, parts of both were evacuated.

Professors teaching in the buildings canceled class, but many students congregated around the Vincent Hall to watch the scene unfold.

The potential gas smell could have been from a dried floor drain or garbage, Cook said.

-Jules Ameel contributed to this report.