U looks to get more awards

President Bob Bruininks has declared October “Scholarship Month.”

Harriet Holden said she remembers exactly what she paid for tuition when she attended the University: $40 per quarter.

“You have to share what you’ve been given,” Holden said.

That’s the philosophy that has driven her philanthropic efforts at the University over the last five years.

Holden met with Virat Madia, a psychology junior, Monday at a scholarship dinner held at the McNamara alumni center. Madia received Holden’s scholarship for the second year in a row this year.

The College of Liberal Arts scholarship dinner is one part of the University’s new effort to secure more scholarships.

University President Bob Bruininks has also declared October “Scholarship Month” at the University.

The University said it hopes to raise $150 million over the next several years to create new scholarship opportunities for students.

As a part of the fund-raising drive, the University is matching donations of $25,000 or more.

Mary Hicks, CLA director of external relations, said the matching money comes from nontraditional “University resources,” such as TCF Bank ATM cards. No tuition or state money is used, she said.

Need for scholarships

Steven Rosenstone, dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said 96 percent of students never receive scholarships in CLA.

To combat the problem throughout several colleges, the University is seeking to increase privately funded scholarships by 50 percent.

The University is last in Big Ten schools in offering merit-based scholarships. The University gives them to 14 percent of incoming first-year students, according to a University press release.

Hicks said University tuition was more affordable than other Big Ten schools until recent legislative cuts. Because tuition is increasing, she said more scholarships are necessary to pay a student’s way.

It’s those scholarships that have allowed Madia to become the first in his family to attend college in the United States.

Receiving the scholarship “has given me so much more time to study,” he said.

“I never realized how much it helps until I had to work and study at the same time over the summer.”

Holden said she hopes the money she gives enables the recipient to expand his or her horizons at the University.

“I went through the ‘U,’ and it cost a lot less then,” she said. “It’s more difficult now.”

Madia said he hoped to get the message out that scholarship recipients need to utilize their gifts.

“They should also continue the cycle of giving,” he said.

“That’s the way the world goes ’round, I think,” Holden said.

Page Foundation

The Page Foundation also honored scholarship winners at a ceremony Monday in Coffman Union.

The Page Foundation was created when Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page, a Hall of Fame Minnesota Viking and former University regent, gave a speech upon his induction to the National Football League Hall of Fame in 1988.

“Alan said, ‘If I’m gonna have all this attention, I might as well use it for something meaningful,’ ” said Diane Page, Alan Page’s wife.

There were 10 Page Scholars in 1988, and the number has since grown to 575 scholarship recipients this year, she said. Students at all University campuses received 180 of those scholarships, she said.

“It’s a little different than most scholarships,” Page said. “We require students to work with children for two hours each week.”

Sana Ali, a Global Studies student, said she tutors first- and second-graders at Marcy Open School in Minneapolis.

“I help them with homework and reading, math problems and science,” she said. “I think it’s helpful. It requires a lot of work, but it’s very nice.”

“Alan believes we’re going to make a difference in society,” Diane Page said.

Page Scholarships are need-based scholarships for minority students, Page said, and they sometimes target “C” students who might normally fall through the cracks.