Gophers track announces 2010 recruiting class

Minnesota has signed three distance runners, a thrower and a high jumper.

The Gophers menâÄôs track and field team announced the five members of its 2010 recruiting class last Friday. Three cross-country runners are among the two Minnesotans and three Wisconsinites who have signed National Letters of Intent since signing period opened Feb. 3, head coach Steve Plasencia announced. âÄúThis is a talented class we have coming in,âÄù Plasencia said in a statement. âÄúWe continue to build an exciting tradition in our track and cross-country programs here at Minnesota. These talented young men will be fun to watch as they become solid performers for the Golden Gophers.âÄù The recruiting class includes distance and cross-country runners Blayne Dulian from Coon Rapids, Minn., Marcus Paulson from Sussex, Wis., and John Luterbach from Wales, Wis. Dulian won the 2009 Minnesota Class AA title in the 1,600-meter run and finished ninth at the state cross-country meet last fall. Luterbach won the Wisconsin Division 2 cross-country individual title last fall and won both the 1,600- and the 3,200-meter runs in 2009. Paulson earned Wisconsin all-state honors in 2009 in the 1,600-meter in addition to winning WisconsinâÄôs Division 1 cross-country title last fall. The Gophers also signed thrower Logan Hussung from Farmington, Minn., and high-jumper Daniel Schiller from Mequon, Wis. Hussung, a senior at Fairmont High School, placed third in the discus and seventh in the shot put at the 2009 Minnesota Class AA state meet. In the high jump at the last two Wisconsin Division 1 state meets, Schiller placed second and third as a sophomore and junior, respectively. His personal best jump in high school is 6 feet, 9 inches. The five student-athletes will join a track-and-field team that is coming off of back-to-back Big Ten indoor titles. The cross-country runners will join a squad that finished 24th at NCAA meet this fall.