Student stabbed while jogging near U

Jeffrey Kang is in stable condition after being stabbed Monday.

A University of Minnesota student was stabbed during an attempted robbery at approximately 9:40 p.m. Monday night while jogging through the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, according to a University police public safety alert. The victim, Jeffrey Kang, 23, was approached by a lone suspect wearing a green jacket and black pants at the corner of 11th Avenue Southeast and Sixth Street Southeast. According to the public safety alert, the suspect demanded valuables and then stabbed Kang. Following the attack, Kang approached a car driven by a member of the nearby Pi Beta Phi sorority who then called 911. After police arrived, Kang was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center and treated for injuries, according to the police report. Kang is currently in stable condition and recovering at home, according to University police Chief Greg Hestness. âÄúFortunately, there were no organ injuries. It was a soft tissue injury,âÄù Hestness said. According to Pi Beta Phi President Ingrid Fellman, the house emphasizes University safety services to its members. âÄúWeâÄôre all concerned both for our membersâÄô safety and the neighborhood at large,âÄù Fellman said. âÄúWeâÄôre encouraging members to use University resources such as 624-WALK.âÄù This marked the seventh crime alert sent out by University police this year, Hestness said. In past years, he said they have averaged around 12 or 13 alerts for an entire calendar year. The University also sent out a text message alert at about midnight informing students of the incident. This is the first time the TXT-U service has been used for an off-campus incident, Hestness said. The suspect is described as a white male in his late 30s with a graying beard and between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall. No further information on a suspect is available at this time, according to Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia.