Sept. 11 proposal vetoed

Despite the initial veto, MSA will revisit the remembrance measure at its next meeting.

Members of the Minnesota Student Association have received threats after rejecting a resolution calling for a moment of silence on Sept. 11.

In a 23-36 vote with three abstentions, MSA’s legislative body rejected the resolution on Nov. 10. Student blogs have since criticized the veto and student representatives’ concerns that the “moment of recognition” could perpetuate anti-Muslim sentiment.

In response, MSA released a statement explaining they rejected the proposal because it lacked a clear plan for implementing the remembrance, as well as addressing how the event may affect Muslim students.

“Many members were dissatisfied by the lack of action attached to such an important topic,” the statement said.

Outlets including CampusReform and Total Frat Move indicated that MSA rejected a 9/11 remembrance because it would violate a safe space.

As of Tuesday night, the Minnesota Student Association could not be reached for comment.

Theo Menon, author of the resolution, believed that some publications’ articles had glossed over the strategic reasons the proposal didn’t pass.

“I think in a lot of media hype, [the logistical side] was left out,” Menon said.

Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Danita Brown Young issued a statement following the coverage.

“The maturity to want a more comprehensive resolution should be applauded, and we hope that others will take a moment to understand the entire situation before attacking the actions of our students,” the statement said.

Menon said he’s seen threats on Twitter directed towards all opponents of the resolution, as well as individual members of MSA.

“It’s not fair that [the MSA members’] expression is met with that kind of reaction,” Menon said.

MSA President Joelle Stangler and MSA Speaker of Forum William Dammann are willing to work with Menon to present again at its next meeting, the statement said.

In the next meeting, Menon said he plans to introduce the resolution as a ‘moment of remembrance’ via a University-wide email.