Carlson students open doors at career fair

Carlson School of Management students donned their suits and ties Wednesday at the school’s annual two-day career fair. More than 40 companies attended.
The student-organized fair is the school’s largest fall recruiting event, allowing students to interact with businesses from around the world.
“It’s a great way for the companies to stay in touch with the students,” said Jennifer Olson, a marketing manager at Fingerhut Companies Inc.
Fingerhut, one of the nation’s largest direct marketers and online retailers, has recruited at the fair for three years.
“It has been very successful being here,” Olson said.
Business representatives said the school’s high rankings account for the increase in recruitment.
“Last summer, I was researching different universities and found the University’s Carlson School ranked pretty high,” said Roxane Kriederman, a Case Corp. human relations manager. “We decided we wanted to create a partnership with the University of Minnesota.”
Hundreds of students crowded into the school’s atrium, discussed interests and handed out resumes.
“It’s very different here, very career oriented,” said Jessica Giese, a recent Carlson graduate looking for a job at the fair. “You know they send (the resume) directly to the recruiter.”
Although many students attending the fair are seeking jobs, organizers tried to provide students and employers with information about one another.
In November, the business school will host an interview fair, following up on relationships formed during this informational career fair.
“Seniors can sign up and get interviews,” said Rebecca Kohlenberg, a sophomore accounting and finance major and one of the fair’s coordinators. “Companies know who they will want to interview this fall.”
The career fair continues today at 3:30 p.m. with 36 businesses signed up to attend.

Bryan Keogh covers professional schools and welcomes comments at [email protected] and can be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3232.