Guard Collins inks with men’s hoops program for the fall

Minnesota’s men’s basketball program signed Kristopher Collins to a National Letter of Intent. Collins, a 6-foot-2 guard from Collin County Community College in Plano, Texas, is the third recruit for the Gophers’ 2002 recruiting class.

“We believe Kris will be able to give us depth at both guard positions and compliment the players we already have in our program,” head coach Dan Monson said in a release.

As a freshman, Collins played in all 31 games for Collin County and led the team in scoring, assists and steals. He averaged 16.6 points, 4.3 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 2.3 steals per game. His team finished with a 19-10 overall record and a 10-5 record in the North Texas Junior College Athletic Conference.

Men’s golf

The Gophers men’s golf team fell two places to finish tied for fifth at The Intercollegiate held at the par-72, 7,057-yard Finley Golf Course in Chapel Hill, N.C. For the tournament, Minnesota shot 276-284-295 for a total of 855 (-9), tying them with Duke. Wake Forest won the event with a score of 841 (-23).

Sophomore Justin Smith placed a career-best ninth with a final day score of 73 (+1), 211 for the tournament. Two other Gophers also placed in the top 20. Junior Wilhelm Schauman tied for 20th place with a 215, and sophomore David Morgan tied for 27th with a 217. Sophomore Simon Nash was the only Gopher to move up on the final day, shooting a 71 (-1) that raised him 10 places to a tie for 32nd place.

Minnesota will next compete April 27-28 at the Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.

Women’s hockey

Allison Sanchez signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Gophers women’s hockey team next fall.

Sanchez, a St. Paul native, posted career totals of 30 goals and 42 assists in three seasons with the Minnesota Thoroughbreds.

“Allie is a big, strong player who has seen action both at defense and forward,” Minnesota coach Laura Halldorson said in a release. “She can handle the puck and shoot very well.”