Schoeder earns WCHA Rookie of the Week honors

Freshman forward Jordan Schroeder was named WCHA Rookie of the Week after picking up five points in the Gophers two-game series with Minnesota State. Schroeder scored his first two career goals for the Gophers in Saturday nightâÄôs 6-3 Minnesota win âÄî the first time the Gophers scored six goals since a 6-2 win over Alaska Anchorage in game one of the 2007 WCHA Playoff Series. He assisted on all three of MinnesotaâÄôs goals in FridayâÄôs 3-3 overtime tie with the Mavericks. With eight points, Schroeder is currently ranked No. 2 in the conference among first-year players. Colorado College sophomore goalie Richard Bachman earned the conferenceâÄôs weekly defensive award, while Alaska Anchorage sophomore forward Tommy Grant earned the offensive honor. NHL Network to televise WCHA The NHL Network announced last weekend that it has reached a one-year extension for broadcast rights to three major college hockey conferences including the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. âÄúCollege hockey not only provides a glimpse of future NHL stars, but the unique excitement and competition of interscholastic rivalries,âÄù John Shannon, executive in charge of programming and production for NHL Network said in a statement. âÄúCovering Division I college hockey is an important step in truly becoming the âÄòHome of Hockey.âÄô âÄù The network will air 19 Friday-night games throughout the rest of the season; six of those will be between WCHA teams. âÄúWe are proud and happy to be part of the NHL Network’s exciting new coverage of college hockey,âÄù WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod said. âÄúThis new agreement with the NHL Network will increase the exposure of our game to fans across the United States and Canada and will also provide a boost in our efforts to continue to recruit the best players to play college hockey.âÄù Minnesota, which is partnered with Fox Sports Net North for 30 regular season games and the Big Ten Network for the remaining four, will not be featured on the NHL Network. Michigan Tech, Colorado College and Minnesota State wonâÄôt appear on the network either. The Central College Hockey Association and Eastern College Athletic Conference were also included in the extension. New goalie coach for U Nate Ziemski has succeeded his current employer Robb Stauber as the Gophers goalie coach, head coach Don Lucia said. Ziemski, who played at Duluth Central, currently works as a goaltending instructor at StauberâÄôs Goalcrease . âÄúFor me, I wanted somebody that thatâÄôs what they do âÄî they work with goalies,âÄù Lucia said. Ziemski won a Division III national championship at Wisconsin-Superior, where he was also named a two-time All-American. Stauber resigned last month in order to spend more time with his family and business.