Goodbye Metrodome

And so it ends. After two-plus decades of football and marching band in the Metrodome, the Gophers are through. And it didnâÄôt end with thunderous applause, or even a big victory against the other team. In fact, the student section hardly chanted and cheered for their team Saturday night. Gopher football fans need a place to call their own. They need a place to feel proud of âÄî even when the team is down 55 points. Hopefully TCF Bank Stadium will fill that void next fall. The sea of maroon and gold jumped, clapped, screamed and roared on Saturday night. Yet due to the size and architectural design of the Metrodome, it was seemingly lost. In fact, what permeated the DomeâÄôs vast space on Saturday were the chants of âÄúI-O-WA!âÄù from the Buckeye fans. Indeed, as early as halftime, groups of students could be seen trickling out of the stands. No reason to stay and watch their team get slaughtered. The on-campus stadium will make the football games into a more integrated experience where students can see the band march down University Avenue, where they can spill into on-campus bars after the games âÄî win or lose. Next year, students will forgo the 70 degrees and dry climate of the Dome and embrace the sunny, the chilly and the snowy games. The coaches, players and 300 members of the marching band are also ready to head outside. Coach Tim Brewster and former coach Glen Mason both told The Minnesota Daily last week that âÄúit didn’t have a collegiate feel to it whatsoever.âÄù It’s time to bring Gopher football home. ItâÄôs been a ride in the toilet-bowl shaped Dome throughout the years. But itâÄôs been long overdue to get the team, the band and the fans back on campus. College football should be more about winning or losing the game, and with any luck, thatâÄôs where the Gophers are headed.