Just build the darn stadium already

TCF Bank Stadium. Gophers Field. TCF Gophers Stadium. Big Expensive Seating Structure Surrounding a Piece of Grass. I don’t really care what the name of the proposed football stadium is, just build the thing already.

TCF Bank Stadium. Gophers Field. TCF Gophers Stadium. Big Expensive Seating Structure Surrounding a Piece of Grass. I don’t really care what the name of the proposed football stadium is, just build the thing already. Am I the only person who is tired of hearing that we’re getting a stadium Ö oh wait, no we’re not Ö no, we’re getting a stadium Ö just kidding, no we’re not? If the state doesn’t decide soon whether they are going to allow the stadium to be built, then the students will be so annoyed with all the squabbling that they won’t want to attend the games even if they do decide to build it.

I’d even be willing to bet some people will stop reading this article as soon as they realize it relates to the stadium issue. University officials are losing student support, fast.

There are only a handful of Division I schools that don’t have football stadiums, and guess who one of those few schools is? Yeah, us. Our school is the second-largest university in the United States, yet we don’t have a football stadium. Doesn’t something seem wrong with this picture? How can such a prestigious institution not have a home for their football team? It’s a disgrace to the University’s team, to its students and to its alumni.

You’d be a fool to think this lack of a true home field doesn’t have an impact on the football team, as well as other University teams. If you don’t remember, signing day was less than impressive for the University, but it’s not coach Glen Mason’s fault. It’s difficult to lure top talent to a school that doesn’t even have a field. This has a trickle-down effect into the other University sports. Most universities use profits from their football programs to support other, smaller sports programs.

But if the football team isn’t making that profit because they aren’t getting the talent to win the games and because they are paying luxuries to the Metrodome, then those other programs fail as well.

It’s true, building a stadium is an expensive process, but a decorated program like Gophers football deserves a place that they can call home. And, if you ask me, so do the students.

Andy Steinke is a University student. Please send comments to [email protected].