Minnesota blanks D-III Augsburg 1-0

The Gophers had only three hits and one run the entire game.

Minnesota’s bats were held mostly silent, but the one run the offense did manage was just enough for its pitching staff.

The Gophers shut out Augsburg 1-0 at Siebert Field on Wednesday afternoon.

Minnesota’s Tuesday game against North Dakota State was postponed, so it picked up the game with Augsburg to get some extra in-game experience.

The Gophers were shut out in two games on Sunday, and head coach John Anderson said he didn’t see his team make a lot of adjustments at the plate Wednesday.

“We’re not going to improve as an offense until we can get some guys to make adjustments … and let us coach [them],” he said. “I think there’s some guys that think they’ve got it all figured out, and it doesn’t look like it to me.”

Minnesota had only three hits all afternoon — one each from junior Mark Tatera, freshman Jordan Smith and sophomore Connor Schaefbauer.

Schaefbauer led off the fourth inning with a triple, and the next batter, third baseman Tony Skjefte, drove him in with a sacrifice fly.

“I hit it well, but I didn’t know if it would get past [the fielder], necessarily,” Schaefbauer said. “So when … it did, [I knew] I could get a double for sure, and then possibly three.”

Gophers freshman pitchers Cody Campbell, Toby Anderson and Brian Glowicki combined to hold Augsburg to just four hits all game.

“I wanted to get them into any kind of game competition rather than pitching in practice,” Anderson said of his freshman pitchers.

Campbell started the game and walked two batters in the first inning before pitching coach Todd Oakes came out for a visit.

“He just told me to keep it loose, not really worry about it, just zone back in on mechanics,” Campbell said.

It worked. Campbell settled down and induced a fly out to get out of the jam. Campbell pitched three scoreless innings, giving up just one hit.

Anderson followed with 3.2 innings of scoreless pitching to earn the win. Glowicki pitched 2.1 innings to earn the save.

Though one run was enough to beat Division III Augsburg, the Gophers will face stiffer competition when they return to Big Ten play.

Minnesota travels to Ann Arbor, Mich., this weekend to take on the Wolverines.

The Gophers won two of three games against Michigan last year, two of which were low-scoring affairs.

Schaefbauer was optimistic that the Gophers would get back on track against Michigan.

“[We] got into some trouble this past Sunday, and I think we’re all ready to kind of turn it around here,” he said.

Anderson was less optimistic.

“You can’t help those who don’t want to be helped,” he said. “If they don’t want to make the adjustment, then they’re going to get the same results.

“What’s the definition of insanity? It’s doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”