Fees committee tightens its purse strings

Despite concerns that its budget would be slashed, the Council of Graduate Students emerged from Saturday’s Student Services Fees Committee meeting with its 1997-98 budget completely intact.
A fees subcommittee recommended a 24 percent decrease in funding for the group about two weeks ago, prompting fears in the council that its future was bleak. However, the full fees committee decided Saturday to maintain the council’s current quarterly funding at $1.61 per graduate student.
Matt Curry, chairman of the fees committee, attributed the change of mind to “a tremendous outpouring of support from graduate students for COGS,” as well as the council’s ability to differentiate itself from the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly.
The original rationale for cutting the council’s funds included a perceived overlapping of the two groups.
Council President Tom Foster said the committee’s decision took him by surprise. “A week ago they were completely opposed (to us). Saturday it was a different tune.”
He said although he is pleased with the outcome, he still has concerns with how the committee functions. “I think this is a process that should be reviewed and should be looked at … to see how we can change this process or make improvements to it.”

— Tom Lopez