Gophers have a couple extra days to focus on Indiana

The Gopher womenâÄôs soccer team looks to improve its Big Ten record Sunday Minnesota (11-1-0, 1-1-0 Big Ten) will play Indiana (5-6-0, 0-2-0) at noon Sunday at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium in St. Paul . The Gophers are coming off a productive weekend. They split last weekendâÄôs series, falling 0-2 to Michigan State on Friday before rebounding Sunday against Michigan. Senior forward Lindsey Schwartz said last weekendâÄôs outcome motivated the team to become a leader in the Big Ten. âÄúLast weekend was kind of an awakening for us,âÄù she said. She added that there has been a noted change at practice this week. The players have been coming earlier and staying later, she said, everyone willing to help each other out. âÄúEveryone is extremely focused in practice,âÄù she said. âÄúThis is a season that really does matter to us.âÄù The Gophers, ranked 25th nationally, have outscored opponents 24-4 this season. The Hoosiers have played a tough schedule thus far, and both losses in last weekendâÄôs series were close âÄî 1-0 decisions. Gophers head coach Mikki Denney Wright does not underestimate the Indiana team, despite its faltering Big Ten record. âÄúWe know the Big Ten is very difficult,âÄù Denney Wright said. âÄúEvery game is a battle, and we just have to be ready to play.âÄù Small details make a difference, she said. They will have to play a strong offensive game this weekend if they hope to beat out Indiana goaltenders Lindsay Campbell and Lauren Hollandsworth. The two players have split time in the net this season for the Hoosiers and played consistently well. Hollandsworth has recorded 20 saves this season, and Campbell, who has 11 saves thus far, recorded five saves against Penn State on Sept. 26. Denney Wright also said the Hoosiers are very dangerous on the attack. They play a lot of attackers forward, she said, and it will take a lot of discipline for her team to be successful. Schwartz said she has no doubts about IndianaâÄôs ability to bring a solid game. âÄúIt will definitely be a good game,âÄù she said. âÄúWe have a lot of stuff to bring to the table.âÄù SundayâÄôs game will be the first conference home game of the season for the Gophers, but Denney Wright didnâÄôt think the venue would have a major impact on her teamâÄôs play. âÄúWe try to be a great team no matter where we play,âÄù she said. Indiana will face Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa Friday before traveling to Minnesota to take on the Gophers on Sunday. Cat Parkhill named to Under-20 U.S. National Team Gophers goalkeeper Cat Parkhill earned the 20th spot on the Under-20 U.S. National Team this week. Parkhill, a redshirt freshman, will travel to Chile to compete with the team in next monthâÄôs FIFA Under-20 WomenâÄôs World Cup. She was chosen from a slate of 21 players after one of two week-long training camps in Sunrise, Fla. âÄúIâÄôm so excited for Cat,âÄù Denney Wright said. âÄúItâÄôs a thrill to have someone from our program representing the U.S.âÄù Gophers celebrate High School Day SundayâÄôs game will also recognize high school soccer players in the state of Minnesota. The Gophers partner with the Minnesota State High School Soccer Coaches Association and have invited a number of the stateâÄôs high school players and coaches to attend SundayâÄôs match free of charge. Though the NCAA prohibits the Gophers from formally calling attention to the high school players, the game recognizes the strong relationship the Gophers have with Minnesota High School soccer, Denney Wright said. Iowa native Schwartz said, though she did not play high school soccer in Minnesota, she realizes the importance of the high school players to the Gophers program. âÄúSome of these high school players are going to be playing college someday,âÄù she said. Seventeen of the Gophers 23 players are from the state.