All Campus Elections negligible

We feel MSA could be doing a lot more with their position and funding.

Today is the last day of the All Campus Elections, those which will elect new administration for the Minnesota Student Association, the undergraduate student government, and for the Graduate and Professional Student Association, the graduate student government.

This year, we have decided not to endorse either set of presidential and vice presidential candidates for the MSA administration for a few reasons. First of all, we feel that the candidates haven’t done enough to make their campaigns visible on campus. We also feel that MSA as a whole hasn’t done enough to make the progress of the current MSA body known to the wider student public, thus, the future of MSA’s progress seems it will have negligable impact on the lives of most students.

Over the past couple years, there have been a few significant accomplishments under MSA leadership. Those relevant to the typical undergraduate student include the MSA Express, a free taxi service that operates Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.; the Lend a Hand, Hear the Band Concert, which gives students tickets to see popular bands at Northrop in exchange for 10 hours of community service; and the Renters’ Survey, which allows students to voice concerns about poor landlords and rental experiences to other student renters.

There have been some notable changes in focus as well over the past year. The current administration has kept the MSA Web site updated so that people outside MSA can keep better track of how they function and what they are working on. The Web site is www.msa.umn.edu.

MSA has also passed numerous resolutions regarding cutting textbook costs and has some great ideas to do so, including encouraging professors and whole departments to consider the costs of textbooks compared to quality and to negotiate with textbook companes on prices.

We support MSA’s initiatives, but we feel they could do a lot more with their position and funding. When we start to see more results, we will have a larger motivation to participate.