New campus eateries to go before Board of Regents

The Board will vote Friday to approve two new campus food services.

Two proposed campus eateries are slated to go before the University of Minnesota Board of Regents for approval on Friday.

The new café-style restaurants are destined for the recently renovated Recreation and Wellness Center and the under-construction Northrop Memorial Auditorium.

The names of the selections can’t be revealed until the Board approves them, but Northrop Director Christine Tschida said the vendor search was a joint operation involving officials from both facilities.

“We are both really
happy with those choices,” she said.

Tschida said Northrop chose its food provider based on its daily “fresh and unique” menu, with a variety of salads, sandwiches, coffee and baked goods as well as the versatility to offer “white-cloth” options for evening events.

Northrop can’t accommodate a large kitchen because of venting constraints in the 85-year-old building, she said, so it couldn’t have a full restaurant.

Recreational Sports Director Dr. Jim Turman declined to comment on specifics because negotiations were ongoing.

“It looks like we’ll have food service in the Rec Center,” he said. “It will be like a café.”

In addition to a new eatery, the Northrop revamp will include a dramatic boost in student study space. Tschida said every floor of the renovated building will have two student lounges.

“We really want Northrop to be active for student use,” Tschida said.

Northrop’s grand re-opening is scheduled for April 4, 2014.