Students should also work abroad

The University could help more students study abroad by finding work and internship opportunities.

In a rapidly globalizing educational community, more college students are studying abroad while receiving credit toward their degree. The University of Minnesota has hundreds of study abroad programs for various majors, but many undergraduates still view study abroad as an unattainable experience during their college career, often for financial reasons.

Students unable to find scholarships to study abroad often take out loans or find other means of handling costs. Resorting to other means can complicate an otherwise unique and beneficial experience.

The Learning Abroad Center hopes to alleviate some of that burden, the Minnesota Daily reported last week, by raising funds for additional scholarships to give more students in an international learning experience.

Right now, a third of University of Minnesota-Twin Cities students graduate with an experience abroad. The University wants to up this to 50 percent and raise $1.5 million for scholarships annually by 2019.

Lack of funds can be a deterrent for students when deciding to study abroad. For some, scholarship funds may not be enough. The University should not only work to boost the number of students studying abroad, but also the number of programs offering work-study positions. Developing more paid internships and job opportunities would likely push the University closer to its goal.

Job opportunities outside the classroom, especially in English-speaking countries, are important if the University wants to get more students abroad.