UMD considering enrollment cap due to lack of facilities

The University of Minnesota-Duluth might cap enrollment unless the school can get more money to build additional classrooms and faculty offices to combat space constraints.
The University’s enrollment has risen steadily in recent years, with some freshmen forced to live in local hotels until administrators find available student housing. In addition, some professors are working out of temporary offices in the old library.
As a result, Chancellor Kathryn Martin said Thursday she feared substantial growth could reduce the quality of undergraduate education at the Duluth campus. Martin made her remarks during the University Board of Regents meeting Thursday at Duluth.
She estimated the school’s maximum enrollment at 9,250 students, which is only slightly more than this fall’s enrollment of 9,087. That number is far below the state recommended number of 10,000 students.
However, new classrooms could end up empty after 2008, when the number of Minnesota high school graduates is expected to decline, said Regent Michael O’Keefe.
Other regents seemed more willing to limit enrollment to maintain academic standards.
To deal with the demand, Martin would guarantee admission to students who spend their first two years at a community college.
— Compiled from staff and wire reports