Studt continues to dominate with first-place finish in Iowa

F

up next

Minnesota Open
what: Men’s track
when: Time TBA, Friday
where: Bierman Track

up next

Minnesota Open
what: Women’s track
when: Time TBA, Friday
where: Bierman Stadium

for sophomore throwing phenom Aaron Studt, it was another day and another shot put gold Saturday at the Iowa Musco Twilight Meet.

The two-time Big Ten Field Event Athlete of the Week bested the field in Iowa City, throwing 58 feet, 7 1/4 inches.

Studt also placed fourth in the hammer throw, with a throw of 176-0.

“The weather was not very cooperative. It was cold and windy, but Studt showed a really high level of shot put performance,” coach Phil Lundin said.

Three other Gophers men joined Studt atop the medals stand despite blustery Iowa weather.

Freshman pole vaulter Brock Spandl qualified for the NCAA Midwest Regionals, winning Iowa gold with a vault of 16-6 3/4.

Sophomore Ben Kampf won the 3,000-meter steeple chase, and senior Eddie Kibira won the 1,500-meter run in Iowa City.

“Overall, all performances were pretty subdued by weather,” Lundin said of the Iowa Classic.

Lundin said Midwestern weather has been a hindrance all season, but overall he is happy with the team’s performance heading into the Big Ten Conference Meet.

The Gophers will have one last chance to hone their skills at the Minnesota Open next Saturday at the University’s Bierman Track.

Gophers still set records as some top performers rest

Even with several All-Americans taking the weekend off, the Gophers women still performed outstandingly at the Iowa Musco Twilight Classic this weekend.

The Gophers were paced by two school record-setting performances at Iowa.

Senior hurdler Dawn Solberg ran qualifying and finals races that topped her previous personal record and the school’s record in the 100-meter hurdles.

“For the two races, I accomplished some of the technical things I had been struggling with,” Solberg said. “It felt good.”

Sophomore Alicia Rue set the school record in the pole vault, clearing 13 feet, 7 1/4 inches to break the previous record (13-5 1/4, Monica Stearns, 2004) by two inches. She now holds the school pole vault records for both indoor and outdoor track.

The Gophers, No. 10 in the nation according the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, are favored by some to be Big Ten Champions.

With nearly two weeks left in the season, the Gophers have qualified a school-record 20 competitors at the upcoming NCAA Midwest Regionals.

The Gophers women will also compete in the Minnesota Open at Bierman Field Saturday.