This week in Gophers sports: July 13-20

Gophers legend Griak passes away

Beloved Minnesota cross country and track & field coach Roy Griak passed away on July 9.

Griak was a devotee to the university for more than 50 years as an athlete, coach and administrator.

"Today, we have lost a true legend in Roy Griak," Minnesota Director of Athletics Norwood Teague said in a statement on July 9. "Roy went to Minnesota, coached here for more than 30 years, worked here for more than 50 years and impacted more lives than almost anybody in the history of the athletic department. Though he retired from coaching in 1996, he never left the sport or the University of Minnesota. Roy was in the office as recently as a few months ago and still pored over results and times of our student-athletes while bringing his signature friendliness to conversations with colleagues. He was a Gopher until the very end. His dedication and his commitment to our university and our student-athletes will be sorely missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones."

Griak lettered in track and cross country at the university and earned a bachelor’s degree in 1949. He added a master’s in 1950 and went on to teach until he returned to the university as a coach in 1963. an administrative role.

Under Griak, the men’s program earned three national championship and three Big Ten titles, and Griak coached an individual NCAA national champion in five consecutive decades.

Griak’s coaching extended to 10 U.S. international teams in addition to his time at Minnesota.

Following his tenure with the Gophers, Griak was inducted into the “M Club” Hall of Fame in 1996, and the university renamed its annual meet after him.

The Roy Griak Invitational, hosted by Minnesota, is one of the largest cross country meets in the United States and will celebrate its 30th anniversary this year.

Gophers participate in development camps

Members of the men’s hockey team have been keeping busy lately as they’ve participated in NHL development camps.

Freshman Jack Sadek, sophomore Robin Höglund and Minnesota alums Mike Reilly and Sam Warning have been participating in the Minnesota Wild's camp, hosted at the Xcel Energy Center.

Saturday’s open scrimmage featured a Gophers connection as Sam Warning scored for Team White on a feed from Mike Reilly.

The Wild hosts one more open scrimmage on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. before camp comes to a close.

Junior Hudson Fasching also attended development camp with the Buffalo Sabres July 6-12 at First Niagara Center in Buffalo, New York.

Fasching had an assist and a shooutout goal in Friday’s Blue and Gold scrimmage, an event that had over 17,000 fans in attendance.

Junior Michael Brodzinski participated in the San Jose Sharks camp last week, and sophomore Steve Johnson spent time in LA with the Kings.

Juniors Taylor Cammarata and Jake Bischoff wrapped up a trip to Long Island on Saturday following two scrimmages and development activities with the New York Islanders.

The summer work for the Gophers with the team and the NHL all leads up to their season opener on October 10.  

NBA Summer League continues

A former Gopher has just finished up his time in the NBA Summer League. Mo Walker played three games with the Orlando Magic Blue team totaling 7.3 points.

Walker earned a spot on Orlando Blue despite not being taken in the 2015 Entry Draft.

The league, held in Orlando, consisted of five games July 4-10.

Orlando Blue finished with a 2-3 record after completing play.

The NBA Summer League continues July 10-20 in Las Vegas, Nevada, though Walker and Orlando will not be participating in the Las Vegas stint.