Students go to Coffman, online to donate for 60K Day

The 24-hour fundraiser to sponsor a Habitat for Humanity home in South Minneapolis received more than 700 donations so far.

Students gathered at Coffman Union Plaza Thursday for 60K Day — a fundraiser to benefit Habitat for Humanity.

The goal is to raise $60,000 in one day to sponsor a home in south Minneapolis. As of 6 p.m. Thursday the benefit had raised about $30,000.

Mike Resman, University of Minnesota Habitat for Humanity chapter president, came up with the idea for the event last fall.  He, along with Minnesota Student Association President Lizzy Shay and University President Eric Kaler, spoke about the importance of donating Thursday afternoon.

“The money raised here today has a direct impact,” Resman said.  “This is totally our style as students to have this huge event on one day to raise money.”

MSA presented a check for $4,500 to cover operating costs because they “can take away from fundraising efforts,” Shay said.

“It’s a no brainer for MSA,” she said.  “There is an incredible amount of diversity on this campus.  But at the end of the day we all go to the same place: home.”

Freshman Andre Wilt donated because he has worked with Habitat for Humanity in his hometown.

“I know how much work they put into it,” he said.  “I give because I know it’s a good cause.”

In his speech, Kaler said he wished every event on the University was as well-organized as 60K Day, attributing its success in part to its student leaders.

He composed a tweet asking students to “join the fun and support a great cause.”

The Carlson Family Foundation provided a matching scholarship, doubling the amount raised.

Volunteers from student groups were wearing green t-shirts promoting the event, accepting donations and handing out stickers.  Thirty student groups along with greek community’s Spring Jam pairings were contributing to the fundraising effort.

Randi Pool, an elementary education junior and Habitat chapter member, said she has worked on the house multiple times.  She said about 10 students go to the house each weekend.

The house will be dedicated in June, Resman said.  Donations were accepted at Coffman and online. As of early afternoon, nearly 500 donations had been accepted in person and another 200 online.

The organizers stayed at Coffman until 4 p.m., but students are encouraged to donate online until midnight Thursday.