Daily Digest: snOMG, protests, guns

Good morning! Happy half snow day to you all. Check out this MPR slideshow of the weather around the state and be grateful if you’re still sitting in your dorm/apartment/house.

The AP reports Michigan and Wisconsin have enjoyed this snowstorm alongside Minnesota. Southern Michigan has about 10 inches on the ground. Central Wisconsin has between 10 inches and 12 inches. We win, though. The National Weather Service says we got up to 13 inches last night. Oh joy. Spring Break starts in four weeks.

Brush up on your snow emergency rules. 

Six days into anti-government protests in Libya, protesters have overtaken the second-largest city. The New York Times reports the uprising has reached the country’s capital, where government buildings are on fire and police appear to be absent. Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s son publicly warned protesters that overthrowing the government would lead to civil war. Even so, many senior officials have resigned. The most recent defection, the justice minister, said he left because of the “excessive use of violence,” according to the BBC. Human Rights Watch estimates at least 223 people have died since last Thursday.

A bill in the Texas Legislature would allow students to carry concealed handguns on college campuses. The point of the bill is to allow students the chance to defend themselves in the event that a “deranged suicidal madman” comes to campus. As one Texas A&M student put it: “Gun-free zones are shooting galleries for the mass murderers.” Utah is the only other state with such a broad law. Colorado gives its public higher ed. institutions the option. About 12 other states have proposed similar measures, but they’re strongly opposed. Bills like this one have been shot down in 23 states since 2007, but gun control activists aren’t optimistic they’ll prevent Texas from passing the law. Because, you know, it’s Texas. Did you know handgun license owners can skip metal detectors at the Capitol there?