This February in the dorms at the University of Minnesota you can participate in Conservation Madness

Living on campus provides many opportunities to University of Minnesota students. As the Housing and Residential Life sustainability education coordinator, I am reminded every day of the convenience, security and companionship that comes with campus housing.
But living on campus also brings with it a certain responsibility. The University spends $45 million per year on energy and only recovers about 37 percent of all recyclables âÄî both numbers that could be improved.
The 6,500-plus student residents spend more time on campus utilizing University resources than any other portion of the University community.
Our televisions, computers, showers, laundry machines, heating, cooling, waste and recycling needs are 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
While we may not see a monthly bill for electricity, trash, water or gas, these costs are incorporated into our room and board. Reducing energy use and increasing recycling in residence halls are two great ways for students to help keep tuition down and reduce the UniversityâÄôs carbon footprint.
In order to âÄújump startâÄù residence hall energy savings, the office of Housing and Residential Life has teamed up with the UniversityâÄôs facilities management department to create the Conservation Madness competition.
The residence hall that reduces its electricity use and waste by the largest percentage and recycles the most from Feb. 7-20 will win a college basketball national championship tailgate party!
The tailgate party will be held at 8 p.m. April 4 in the winning residence hall. Pizza, refreshments and door prizes will be provided as the winners take in the national championship hoopla.
Team up with your neighbors to make sure your residence hall wins the prize! WhatâÄôs the secret to winning Conservation Madness? Go crazy for recycling and energy savings. It all adds up!