Men’s golf takes second at Fossum Invitational, women last at Lady Buckeye

Minnesota’s women’s golf team finished last in a field of 15 at this weekend’s Lady Buckeye Invitational in Columbus, Ohio.

The Gophers shot a 312 in Sunday’s final round to finish 99 strokes behind tournament champions Auburn. Minnesota’s three-round total of 948 was 85 strokes over par, 19 shots behind the 14th-place Ohio State gray squad.

Freshman Sydney Liles led the Gophers with a three-round total of 231, 15-over par. She fired a final round 76.

Freshman Suvi Mantyniemi shot a 76 in the last round to get to 20-over par, good for 63rd place.

The event was Minnesota’s last before next weekend’s Big Ten Championships in Bloomington, Ind.

Men take second

Minnesota’s men’s golf team took second place at this weekend’s Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich. The Gophers carded a three-round total of 874, 10-over par.

Minnesota shot a one-over par 289 in Sunday’s final round to jump to second after finishing the second round in fifth place.

Senior Bronson La’Cassie fired a 69 in Sunday’s third round to finish the tournament at two-under par, good for second place in the individual competition.

Freshman Victor Almstrom tied for 10th for the Gophers with a three-round total of 217, one stroke over par. The tournament marked Almstrom’s second top-10 finish of the season.

Minnesota was second among the seven Big Ten teams competing, finishing behind only tournament-champion Indiana. The Gophers finished four shots behind the Hoosiers.

Minnesota will compete in the Big Ten Championships next weekend in Lake Forest, Ill.

Volleyball takes third

Minnesota’s volleyball team took third place in the 24-team Great Lakes Invitational Spring Tournament on Saturday.

The Gophers defeated Wisconsin-Milwaukee in two games and Dayton in two games to advance out of pool play to the gold bracket. Minnesota then beat Ohio 2-0 in the quarterfinals before falling to Texas in the semifinals.

The Gophers were the best finisher of the seven Big Ten teams that competed in the tournament. They finished ahead of Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin.

Minnesota finishes its spring schedule next weekend at the Sports Pavilion. The Gophers will play a five-game match with Kansas State at 10 a.m. Saturday, then play a three-game match against the Wildcats at 2:30 p.m.