Measles makes a comeback in US

The anti-vaccination movement needs to be held responsible.

The case of measles confirmed last Wednesday at the University of Minnesota is no longer contagious, according to health officials. Though there have been no reports of the disease spreading further, the student attended class from Jan. 20 to Jan. 23, and residents of Dinkytown’s Sydney Hall may have been exposed to the virus.

Across the country there have now been more than 100 confirmed cases, many of which were linked to an outbreak at Disneyland last month. Other areas that have confirmed cases of the disease include Bard College  and the University of Phoenix area, where hundreds of people were potentially exposed to the virus just before Sunday’s NFL championship game.

To counter this alarming trend, more needs to be done.

The University currently requires students to “self-report” whether they received their vaccinations. Officials at Boynton Health Service are unsure whether the infected University student was inoculated, as they do not retain vaccination records if students don’t require health care at Boynton. In addition, University employees aren’t obligated to have vaccinations.

In order to work or learn at the University, basic vaccinations for easily preventable diseases like measles should be mandatory. Furthermore, Boynton should begin keeping immunization records to safeguard against potential outbreaks.

The anti-vaccination crowd has no scientific basis for their objections to the shots — it’s time that University policy reflects this before an outbreak occurs.