Gophers’ Clark

Gophers men’s basketball player Kevin Clark suffered a seizure prior to the team’s departure for Seattle and the NCAA tournament on Tuesday.
The incident occurred on the team charter, which was delayed due to the weather. Trainer Roger Schipper was on the plane and assisted Clark, who has suffered from seizures since he was a junior in high school.
“It’s an unfortunate thing that happened,” coach Clem Haskins said in a broadcast report. “When he has a seizure like this, it takes several days for him to bounce back.”
Clark’s status for Thursday’s first-round NCAA tournament game is uncertain. The Gophers practiced in Seattle on Tuesday, but Clark didn’t participate. He could sit out Wednesday’s shoot-around as well.
The senior was hospitalized for two nights prior to Minnesota’s Feb. 17 win over Penn State because of seizures, which Clark says are brought on by fatigue and dehydration. He is on medication for the ailment.
Clark’s situation could limit the Gophers’ chances of advancing deep into the tournament, where strong guard play is at a premium.
“We’ll need guys like Mitch Ohnstad to step up,” Haskins said.

Women’s golf
The Gophers women’s golf team cut three strokes from its first-day tally but still dropped a spot in the final standings, falling into a tie for seventh place at the 17-team Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational at Tuscavilla Country Club in Winter Springs, Fla.
Minnesota finished the tournament with a score of 653 (328-325), behind repeat champion Campbell’s 630 (312-318).
The Gophers were led by sophomore Jenny Bruun (83-78 161), who finished in a tie for 18th place. Senior Michelle Ballou (80-84 164) tied for 28th, senior Donna Boom (84-81 165) tied for 32nd, and senior Melanie Lepp (81-92 173) and sophomore Katie Bakken (91-82 173) tied for 68th.

Cross-country students
Minnesota junior Rasa Michniovaite (4.0 grade point average in biology) and sophomore Elaine Eggleston (3.60 gpa, biology) received academic all-America honors from the Women’s Intercollegiate Cross Country Association, the women’s athletics department announced Tuesday.
The Gophers ranked 19th as a team with a 3.39 gpa. Minnesota was the only Big Ten team listed in the rankings.