Unused textbook equal waste of money

Professors should compile required reading lists with students’ budgets in mind.

Dear professors, Students are broke. Textbooks are expensive. This does not make for a very peaceful start to the semester. To be honest, most of us donâÄôt mind paying for good, informative books we use to learn from throughout a semester. However, when we pay $70 for that new edition and never take off the cellophane, weâÄôve got a problem. One Daily Nebraskan staff member had $115 worth of unused textbooks. Two more have more than $100 each sitting untouched on their shelves. ThereâÄôs nothing worse than getting four weeks into the semester and realizing you wasted hundreds of dollars worth of textbooks. And, professors, in case you didnâÄôt know, those $100 textbooks will resell for maybe $30 if weâÄôre lucky. We donâÄôt mind reading and learning: ThatâÄôs what weâÄôre in college for. But if weâÄôre not going to get anything out of the required reading, why should it be required in the first place? So please, before you add that pricey book to the required reading list, think about the options. Is the material in that $100 book essential to your class? Could you teach the material in person instead? Could you include it as a PowerPoint or document that can be accessed for free on Blackboard? Could you use material available online instead? You could even take advantage of the libraryâÄôs E-Resources. Then documents are accessible to students through the libraryâÄôs Web site. We understand plans change, schedules change, and sometimes we donâÄôt get to all the material you had planned to cover in a semester. But please, for the sake of our empty wallets, think more carefully next time before you fill out your required reading lists. Thanks, UNL students This editorial, accessed via U-Wire, was originally written by the Daily Nebraskan Editorial Board and published in the Daily Nebraskan.