Cancellations need change

Unexpected canceling of classes wreaks havoc on stressed students.

The week before classes started, the University canceled nearly two percent of classes due to low enrollment causing chaos for many students. The number of classes canceled might be relatively small but this does not excuse the University for disregarding the problems of students affected.

Some of the dropped classes pushed students to a below full-time enrollment credit load and caused not only academic pain but financial pain as well. The University needs to let students know of these changes earlier, or offer amends.

Dropping classes at the last minute is stressful, and something a student should never expect to go through. Students are put in a position where they are forced to either scramble around on the One Stop Web site to find replacement sections, or they have to settle on taking the class during a later session. All of this over always stressful move-in weekend when adviser offices are not open.

It also makes it more difficult for students to find classes that still have open seats that fit into their schedules. Many have to completely rearrange their enrollment, take classes that throw them off their graduation track, or deal with a schedule that is almost unbearable. If the student has a job, they might as well just forget about having a manageable schedule.

The University should be required to decide which classes they are conceding further in advance for students’ convenience. If the reason for the cancellation is low enrollment, they should decide no later than the middle of August. This would at least give students some more time to think things through about enrollment, or talk to their adviser.

If the University is unable to notify students earlier, amends could be made such as partial tuition reimbursement. The University does allow students to petition against full enrollment tuition, but deals with students on a case-by-case basis, meaning not all students get refunded. The University could also allow special permission for the affected student to move to the top of a waitlist, or be enrolled in a class that is already full. What would one more student and one more desk hurt?

If the student is liable to pay tuition after enrolling, the University should be held liable to replace the credits lost.