Tilt towards STEM programs leaves liberal arts behind

As children, weâÄôre taught to believe we can be anything that we want and to let our imaginations run wild. Then we grow up and learn that the people who taught us this forgot to mention that this is only true in fields where you can make money and the demand is high.

ItâÄôs no secret that the University of Minnesota has been going through changes, particularly in the last few months. It is also clear that those changes are benefiting specific programs and colleges âÄî science, technology, engineering and math in particular âÄî because administration thinks theyâÄôre pulling their weight.

At the same time, smaller âÄî but still important âÄî programs are being driven to oblivion.

Not only have the biased heads of the University made it nearly impossible for those âÄúless competitiveâÄù programs to show their worth, but they have created a robotic student body that will one day venture out into the world and become the next leading generation.

By taking away resources and funding from smaller liberal arts programs, administration has not only eliminated significant programs, but they have made valuable students question the way the world is and how corrupt it can be.

We all pay the same tuition. Why should the education of a liberal arts student be treated less importantly than a student in a science, technology, engineering or math field?

With an economic crisis surrounding us, cuts need to be made and a balance must be found, but the liberal arts are not disposable or unnecessary.

Instead, the University should save by not making bad investments, like building a new stadium to draw in better players, which still hasnâÄôt worked, or the poorly planned technology building that even technology classes refuse to use.

The University must live up to its mission and start supporting worthy, important areas like academics.

When liberal arts programs are scrutinized for not âÄúpulling their weight,âÄù the University loses its diverse and unique qualities, especially when the criticism comes from an assistant vice provost with a background in biology.

Liberal arts students are creating inspiration and imagination. We might not be saving lives with cures and scalpels, but weâÄôre changing lives by fighting for better ways of living, preservation of culture, creativity and the right to learn.