Changes are right on SCU

Chancellor Rosenstone’s reform is just what MnSCU needs.

Last week, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities chancellor Steven Rosenstone pledged to make some big changes to the MnSCU system.

Calling the biggest threat to public education âÄúbusiness as usual,âÄù Rosenstone promised to keep tuition down, improve the quality of education, increase graduation rates and improve business partnerships. While he offered few specific details during his first Board of Trustees meeting, he vowed to consult with faculty and students first and include their input.

With enrollment rates and tuition and fees climbing yearly, it is great to see Rosenstone promising to take on these challenges now, before they become any greater than they already are. Thousands of students rely on the MnSCU system to provide their education, help transfer into larger universities and ultimately better their lives.

Rosenstone proposed âÄúchanging the student experience,âÄù by reforming the way online classes are designed and taught, an area that definitely needs improvement, especially in community colleges. Rosenstone also mentioned improving business partnerships, but he should proceed cautiously, ensuring that partnerships are always for the benefit of the students. 

His promises lay a great foundation for reform. Now is the time for Rosenstone to get to work and implement these changes, for the good of all MnSCU students.