.To play some devil’s advocate here, recall back to the mid-1990s and the unbelievable Chicago Bulls team. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, Horace Grant, the list goes on and on. All these athletes were well-rounded people (on the court at least) and portrayed the NBA as respectably. But, they had a teammate who everyone can still remember: Dennis Rodman. Pink hair, blue hair, wedding dresses, Madonna – what else can you say but, “What a character.”
Rodman went for a rebound and ended up on the floor under the basket. He was lying there as a reporter was uncomfortably close taking pictures. Rodman, being his impulsive self, gave the man a quick kick to his legs.
Rodman had to pay $200,000 in a settlement and fines. He was then suspended for 11 games. Personally, I love the guy; he’s a character and doesn’t hide his feelings. But like Artest, he can get out of hand. Here’s a list of Rodman fines and suspensions:
1. Head butted John Stockton during a preseason game. Got a two-game suspension and a $25,000 fine.
2. Head butted Stacy King during a preseason game. Got one-game suspension and $35,000 fine.
3. Fined $15,000 dollars for not showing up to a preseason game.
4. Suspended three games for screaming at his coach.
6. Head butted a referee, got a six-game suspension and a $65,000 fine.
7. Kicked a cameraman. Had to pay a $200,000 dollar settlement and serve 11 game suspendsion
8. Shouted expletives at fans during the 1997 NBA Finals. Fined $50,000.
9. Showed up to practice drunk before the Bulls vs. Utah Jazz game and was fined $10,000.
Why does Artest get a season-long suspension when he got in a fight with a couple fans and some other players? Rodman never saw a seasonlong suspension. Perhaps the NBA is cracking down on ridiculously immature behavior, but it’s a bit late, David Stern.
Joe Krummel is a University student. Please send comments to [email protected]