Students considering work can seek help from the pros

Job-seekers should consider what qualities they value before going too far.

As fall semester starts and students begin their new routines, they might start thinking about working while attending school.

The University offers resources for students seeking employment during the school year.

Erin Schaffer, University job center supervisor, said students should look for employment on the center’s Web site. The site gives listings of open jobs along with specific instructions about what to do if interested in one. The listings are updated daily at 7:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

Paul Timmins, career services coordinator in the Career and Community Learning Center, said that aside from the student job center Web site, students can go to career centers. Each college at the University has a center where students can find out about internships and jobs.

Timmins also said that if students know where they would like to work, they should go in and inquire.

“If (students) have ideas, go directly there and express interest,” he said.

Schaffer said students should say a bit about themselves when contacting potential employers.

Students should also tell employers what their availability is and why they are interested in the job, Schaffer said.

When writing to the employer, students should make sure spelling and grammar are correct. Many employers will not even consider people whose spelling is wrong, Schaffer said.

Timmins advised students to always be professional and serious when talking with employers.

Students should be “expressing genuine interest,” he said.

When students go to interviews, if they know what the normal attire for the job would be, they should dress accordingly. If in doubt about what to wear, students should dress up a little to show they are serious about the job, Timmins said.

After an interview, students should send a thank-you message to show they are interested.

Most employers will give a time frame of when the student will be contacted. If the student has not been contacted within that period, a call to check up is appropriate.

Finding the best kind of job for a student depends on the individual, Timmins said.

Students should think about their goals ahead of time. Is it important that the job fits into the student’s schedule? Is pay important? These are the types of questions students need to answer for themselves.

The higher the pay, the more the job is sought, Schaffer said.

Students also tend to work at the recreation center and residence halls, which are nearby and busy, so students can interact with other people, Schaffer said. Many students also work at University Dining Services and campus libraries.

Students might worry about the number of hours they will be required to work. But employers, especially those on campus, understand their hires are students first, Timmins said.