Hoosiers hand Michigan third conference loss

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) — Indiana went small and came up big.
Neil Reed scored 20 points and A.J. Guyton added 15 and grabbed a game-saving rebound in the final seconds Tuesday night as the 21st-ranked Hoosiers held off No. 13 Michigan 72-70.
Forced to a three-guard lineup because of the absence of injured forward Andrae Patterson and the foul trouble of center Jason Collier, Indiana used its quickness and the shooting of Reed, Guyton and Michael Lewis to build a 15-point lead midway through the second half.
The Hoosiers (16-4, 3-3 Big Ten) were outscored 20-7 the rest of the way, however, and a rebound basket and two free throws by Maceo Baston capped an eight-point run that brought Michigan (13-5, 4-3) within two points with three minutes to go.
Neither team scored after that, although both had plenty of chances.
Guyton, who did not score in the first half, missed two shots, giving the ball to Michigan with just over a minute to go. Louis Bullock had a chance to tie the game but missed a shot and the Wolverines kicked the ball out of bounds scrambling for the rebound.
Guyton then missed again, and this time the ball went out of bounds off Indiana’s Charlie Miller. Then, with eight seconds left, Bullock took the inbounds pass, raced down the court and missed a 3-point attempt that would have given Michigan its first lead and the victory.
The ball rimmed out, and the 6-foot-1 Guyton pulled it down as the game ended. Lewis and Miller each added 10 points for the Hoosiers.
Michigan was led by Maurice Taylor with 16 points and Baston had 14.
Indiana was without Patterson, its leading scorer and rebounder, because of a slight dislocation of his left knee cap.
Reed and Lewis did the bulk of the first-half scoring as the Hoosiers took the lead at the start and never trailed. The two guards scored 18 of Indiana’s final 26 points of the first half, including three each during a six-point swing that seemed to break the game open midway through the opening period.
Michigan had cut Indiana’s lead to two points on a basket by Jerod Ward. But Lewis then hit one of two free throws, and on the Wolverines’ next possession Ward was called for an offensive foul. He slammed the ball to the floor and received a technical foul, and Reed hit three of four free throws to put the Hoosiers up 29-23.
Indiana retained possession because of the technical, and Lewis scored again. Michigan came within five points before a rebound tip-in by Miller, who led the Hoosiers with nine rebounds. Lewis assisted on the final two baskets by Richard Mandeville as Indiana took a 42-31 halftime lead.
Guyton hit three 3-pointers in the second half as the Hoosiers took a 15-point lead three times.