Distinguished faculty honored

The University’s Board of Regents honored 16 faculty members last week with the 1999-2000 Morse-Alumni Distinguished Teaching Awards.
The award is given annually to faculty members who make outstanding contributions to teaching.
Eight of the recipients were presented with an award for their contributions to undergraduate education. Another eight faculty members were recognized for their contributions to post-baccalaureate, graduate and professional education.
Raymond Duvall, political science instructor, received the award for the latter reason.
“I am incredibly honored and humbled. It’s an extraordinary award,” Duvall said.
For one instructor, the award was not only exciting, but a rare opportunity to reflect on the past.
“One of the greatest pleasures of this award was to hear the wonderful things students and colleagues have said about you — things long forgotten,” said Gordon Hirsch, an English professor. “To have all these things remembered and put on paper is just so incredible.”
The award winners join the other honored faculty members in the Academy of Distinguished Teachers, an organization created in 1999 by University President Mark Yudof, for a five-year term.
As members of the academy, faculty members will provide leadership to the University’s teaching mission by serving as mentors, advisers and representatives.
The recipients were also recognized in ceremonies by their individual colleges.
The 1999-2000 University of Minnesota Morse-Alumni Distinguished Teaching Awardees are: Professor Patricia McCarthy Veach, College of Education and Human Development; Professor Harold D. Grotevant, College of Human Ecology; Professor Paul John Strykowski, Institute of Technology; Professor Dorothy H. Anderson, College of Natural Resources; Associate Professor Nelson L. Rhodus, School of Dentistry; Professor Gordon Hirsch, College of Liberal Arts; Professor Elaine Tarone, CLA; Professor Raymond Duvall, CLA; Professor Wesley James Miller, Medical School; Professor David D. Thomas, Medical School; Professor Robert O. Pepin, IT; Professor Lawrence Que, IT; Professor John W. Newstrom, University of Minnesota-Duluth School of Business and Economics; Associate Professor Stephen Adams, University of Minnesota-Duluth College of Liberal Arts; Associate Professor Peh H. Ng, University of Minnesota-Morris Division of Science and Mathematics; and Professor Theofanis G. Stavrou, CLA.

Liz Bogut covers faculty and welcomes comments at [email protected].