How to stay warm this winter

Minnesota winters are tough. We not only encountered a polar vortex last year, but freezing temperatures and snow can last from the fall through the spring. If you are not familiar with Minnesota winters, it is wise to start preparing now. 

Winter will be here before we know it, so here are some tips to stay warm in the coming months:

Dress in warm layers

Investing in winter boots is a must. Be sure to have thick socks to keep your feet warm and dry. Hats and gloves will protect you from frostbite, and a winter coat will help you ward off the below zero temperatures and chilling wind. 

Know your bus routes, but plan for crowded rides

The University has the campus connectors and circulators, which can get your across campus while avoiding cold temperatures. However, be warned, campus shuttles saw high amounts of crowding last year. 

Metro Transit also has the light rail, which you can take from the stops in Stadium Village, East Bank and West Bank for free as a student. Just be sure to pick up a student pass in Coffman Union to avoid getting ticketed by Metro Transit police. Metro Transit also operates various bus routes that can connect you to campus and the surrounding neighborhoods. A U Pass can be purchased that gives you unlimited access to Metro Transit services for a semester. 

Plan your day accordingly

Icy roads can make walking to class take longer, so try to leave for classes earlier than normal to give yourself extra time. You might have to get up earlier to make it to 8 a.m. classes, but it is better to budget more time and walk slowly instead of walking too quickly and risking injury. 

Use the Gopher Way

The Gopher Way is a system of underground tunnels that connect some areas of the campus, allowing you to avoid stepping outside into the cold. Maps of the tunnel system can be found online or posted in various buildings on around campus.

Order in food

When it is too cold to make the trek to a dining hall, restaurant or grocery store, it is easy and convenient to order food. Take advantage of apps like Uber Eats, Postmates and DoorDash to order your favorites.