Chipotle prices spike, Campus Crossroads delayed

Chipotle recently responded to wholesale food price increases. Minnesota locations saw an average price increase of 6 percent on all products starting Nov. 3, including increases of 70 cents on chips and guacamole and 25 cents on steak, barbacoa and carnitas burritos. Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold said the price changes have not affected the burrito chain much thus far. âÄúItâÄôs really been business as usual,âÄù he said. âÄúI think people understand that anyone who is in the business of selling food, whether youâÄôre a supermarket or a restaurant, is facing substantially higher costs.âÄù Arnold mentioned the higher cost of feed and transportation as factors leading to the price increases. âÄúWeâÄôve really held the line on increasing prices as long as we could, sort of hoping that things would plateau,âÄù he said. Marketing junior John Shin said he eats at Chipotle about three times per week and doesnâÄôt expect the new prices to change his habits. âÄúIâÄôm still hungry so I still go, but IâÄôm not too happy,âÄù he said. Price increases also came when Chipotle began selling naturally raised meats, Arnold said. Campus Crossroads construction delayed After being approved by Minneapolis City Council on Oct. 24 , the construction of Stadium VillageâÄôs Campus Crossroads is being delayed, Stadium Village Commercial Association Director Jim Rosvold said. He said representatives from the developer, Opus Corporation , estimated a six-month delay on the new development, originally scheduled to open fall 2010. Opus representatives were unavailable for comment. Melrose takes a new name All signs of Melrose Student Suites are now gone, as one of the largest student housing developments near campus changed management. Melrose became District on Delaware on Nov. 1 and removed anything bearing the name Melrose in the near vicinity. Following the change, residents were informed that the complex would be under new management and have a new name, said child psychology and elementary education sophomore Brian Clark, a resident of the complex . âÄúBasically they just sent out a newsletter and just had a sheet that said, âÄòWeâÄôve been changed and it shouldnâÄôt change any of the services,âÄô âÄù he said. Clark, who has lived at the complex since the beginning of this semester, said the only item with the Melrose name on it is the room key cards. District on Delaware representatives said they could not comment on the change.