Building renaming honors professor

The Management and Economics building on the West Bank will be renamed Walter W. Heller Hall during a dedication ceremony today
Heller, who passed away in 1987, taught economics at the University for 40 years and was a Regent’s professor.
He also served as the head of the Council of Economic Advisers under presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson.
During his work for the Kennedy Administration, he helped convince the president to do personal and business tax cuts in an effort to stimulate economic growth. He continued this work under Johnson.
Heller, who was born in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1915, was also a consultant to the United Nations, the Census Bureau and the Brookings Institute.
The dedication will be held in the Cowles Auditorium at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, with a ceremony to follow.

Nathan Whalen covers facilities and construction and welcomes comments at [email protected] He can also be reached at (612)627-4070 x3237.