Hockey freshmen lose hair over season’s start

No one could say for sure how long the tradition has been around. Some said three years. Some said four. Others said forever.
But in looking around the Gophers hockey locker room Monday afternoon, one thing was for sure: The tradition of shaving the freshmen’s heads did not end this year.
The dirty deeds took place this weekend at co-captain Mike Crowley’s house. One by one, Minnesota’s freshmen took their turns under the razor. With each strand of hair removed, the newcomers moved closer to being full-fledged Gophers.
“The freshmen are all officially part of the team,” said senior Dan Hendrickson, who went through the same process three years ago.
The initiation has its drawbacks, though. From now until winter break, the freshmen may see a decrease in their social lives.
“Ryan Trebil is by far the ugliest freshman bald,” Hendrickson said. “But the rest are all a close second.”
Despite losing massive amounts of hair, the team’s rookies said the experience was positive.
Freshman Nate Miller said he felt more like a member of the team. And junior Jason Godbout’s barber skills were second to none.
“I tipped him a couple of bucks,” Miller said.
This year’s round of shavings also conjured up memories of last year’s much-disputed shaving of then-freshman Mike Anderson.
If the story were left in the hands of Hendrickson and Crowley, one might gather the impression that Anderson wouldn’t let the team touch his golden locks.
One year later, Anderson is still trying to clear his name. His rendition: “(Dave) Larson shaved all the way to my bangs, then shaved my eyebrow.”
Physical evidence seems to back Anderson’s story. Case closed — at least until next year.
Hockey tickets available
As of Monday, about 3,500 tickets remain for the Gophers hockey game against Boston University on Saturday night at Target Center.
Tickets are also on sale now for the Gophers’ annual Border Battle on Feb. 28 against Wisconsin at Target Center.
Tickets for both games can be purchased through Ticketmaster.
Women’s golf
The Gophers women’s golf team earned first place honors for the second consecutive weekend, edging host Northern Illinois by two strokes in the 12th Annual Huskie Fall Classic.
The Gophers were led by Cathy Lindblad, who fired a 36-hole score of 155, including a two-over-par 74 in Sunday’s first round.
Minnesota also had strong efforts from Melanie Lepp (159), Amy Dahle (162), Keri Sawvell (162) and Carolyn Klecker (164).
The Gophers finished 201 strokes ahead of last place Wayne State.
Men’s golf
The Gophers men’s golf team had one goal in mind last weekend at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich.: to defend its 1995 title. Unfortunately Minnesota came up short and placed fourth.
“We are absolutely not satisfied,” Coach John Means said. “We went there as defending champions. We expected to repeat that, and we didn’t. We have played exceptionally well in our last two tournaments; this was just not a good finish.”
Michigan, the host school, won the tournament by 20 strokes. Second place was a tie between Marshall and Miami of Ohio.
Gophers captain Mark Halverson finished in 16th place (10-over par). Also finishing in the top 20 for Minnesota were freshman Martin LeMesurier and sophomore Bill Thompson, who tied for 17th place at 11-over par. All-America junior Robb Kerr finished at 13-over par for a 25th place tie, and sophomore Matt Lewis came in 47th (18-over par).
Maarten van den Berg (Miami of Ohio) took top honors of the Invitational as he finished at 1-under par. Michigan’s Isaac Hinkle came in second at even par, and he was followed by a tie for third at 4-over par between Sam O’Dell and Steve Shrawder, both of Marshall University.
The Gophers will complete their 1996 fall season Oct. 20-21 in Durham, N.C., at the Duke Invitational.
— Susan Filkins