Academic freedom

Overall, I agree with most of the points stated in the article, âÄúFaculty push to revise academic freedom policy .âÄù The fact that the University is standing behind their professional staff and supporting their freedom is a tremendous undertaking. Contrary to some peopleâÄôs thoughts, by putting their foot down, the University is stating that they believe in what their professors teach and honor their opinions, not protecting the UniversityâÄôs overall interests. Professors do not tell students what to think, they are simply there to guide them in their learning and research. The quality of professors we have at the University never ceases to amaze me; in the past three years I have learned an impressive amount because of encouraging and knowledgeable professors. The Garcetti v. Ceballos case should not apply to public universities. Staff at the University should be allowed to teach students material they find relevant and discuss their opinions openly without fear of repercussions. By holding a ruling over professorâÄôs heads, students would be hurt in the process; they would not be receiving the education they are paying for. Public universities are unlike many other institutions in our culture. Academia has been around, in the same form, since the Reformation in the 16th Century. With such a long, distinguished past, universities must continue in the tradition in which they have succeeded. Professors must be comfortable teaching their students in way they see fit, and I think skeptics need to take a deeper look at the circumstances, especially what a professor is hired to do âÄî and that is to teach. Alexandra Tegels University student